--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Mel <gunnar19632000@...> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 13/1/11, SteveW <eugnostos2000@...> wrote:
>

> When I was younger, I was troubled by obssesive checking behavior. I have
> found that, for me, it is a matter of just being mindful of the anxiety, as
> it arises, without either trying to run away from it or run toward it. And
> then I choose to do something else that is unrelated in order to redirect my
> attention. In my case, I enjoy karate, so I would go work on a kata, or form
> exercise. But any activity that you enjoy will do. The OCD is just a glitch
> in your amygdala brain center. Just be mindful of it, label it as just a
> glitch that is not really "you", and then redirect your attention to
> something else. Worked for me.
> Steve
>

> MEL: Another karate buff! Yayyy! I like Shotokan myself, but I unfortunately
> can only train on my own these days due to health restrictions(eg.
> arthritis) and lack of suitable schools where I am. And I'll take that advise
> as well, Steve. I'm a long-time sufferer of this horrid mental disease.
> Thanks!
>

> in peace
> Mel

  Hi Mel. I also practice Shotokan (Shodan). My original training was in the
JKA version, but recently I have been exposed to some of the kata devised by
the late Master Asai, formerly the technical director of the JKA before he left
to start his own organization. I have also trained in Shorin Ryu, Judo and
Hapkido. In fact, I originally learned zazen as a teenager attending a martial
arts program for street kids. The instructors included a few minutes of zazen
before and after the traditional class. They also offered a period of zazen for
those kids who wanted to stick around after class. As you know, the traditional
approach to Japanese karate is "moving zen". I am very sorry about your
arthritis. I am in my fifties and I am already starting to feel the long-term
consequences of innumerable injuries incurred during training. Don't quit!
Above the door of that first traditional class I attended was a quote from
Bodhidharma: "To fall seven times, to rise eight times, life starts from now!"
BTW, my favorite traditional kata is Kanku Dai. What's yours?
Steve