Kristy/ED,

I can live with 'my way is the right way'. But I am amused at 'my way is the 
only right one'. Buddha was mortal, but his idea is immortal. Immortality does 
not mean it lasts forever. Buddha gave his teachings a life of 500 years. After 
that would come another 500 years of something similar to Buddhism. Following 
that would be corrupt and chaotic forms of the teachings. Please note the 
expiry of the first 500 years roughly corresponds to the appearance of 
mahayana. This idea is similar to Buddhism, either for the better or for the 
worse. Then is zen the worse way of Buddhism? I believe not. The smart approach 
is to forget Buddhism. That is where Bill got his last name.

Anthony

--- On Fri, 14/1/11, Kristy McClain <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Kristy McClain <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Differences Tao/Chan, which older
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, 14 January, 2011, 11:01 PM







 



  


    
      
      
      

--- On Fri, 1/14/11, ED <[email protected]> wrote:


From: ED <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Differences Tao/Chan, which older
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011, 7:28 AM


  Ed,
 
Good point.  I recently listened to a discussion about the greatest danger 
facing  those on a spiritual  path, to include those who are practicing any 
contemplative models.  That "danger" is in  a belief that "This" way, or" my" 
way, or "this lineage", or practice is somehow "The" way.  The only true way.  
The idea that "my" practice is the right practice.
 
I agree with this premise. In my view, there is no one single correct way , 
beit for one or all beings. Asserting that  "my" way is the  "right" way  seems 
to be the source of so much of the contentiousness we witness  all around us.
 
Mel  pondered if my suggestion that Buddha's enlightment  was impermanent, when 
I offered that even Buddha likely had  "bad hair days".   I believe  everything 
is impermanent.  I believe the Buddha was mortal.  I believe centuries of mixed 
oral and written transmissions are imperfect records, and  while there is great 
wisdom in the bible, sutras,  and many spiritual and philosophical texts, I 
don't make the mistake of taking them so  seriously that I become a prisoner of 
them.
 
As I have said before, what works for others , is completely fine with me. I  
learn from other's experience and welcome the opportunity to do so.
 
A good day to all. 
 
Kristy




Bill and All,
All systems, whether philosophical, psychological scientific, religious, etc. 
or mixed rest on basic beliefs,  principles, postulates and assumptions.
In Zen, for instance, some of these premises might be:
o     Buddha Nature is a reality
o     Non-rational experiencing is of the essence, and the rational mind is a 
delusion
o     Realizing Buddha Nature should be the primary goal of one's life 
o     Experiencing kensho-satori is the mark of one's having commenced the 
process of experiencing Buddha Nature
o     A more ongoing experience of "Just THIS" facilitates the occurrence 
of kensho-satori
o     Regular and intense Shikantaza practice facilitates the ongoing state of 
"Just THIS"
o     No blind reliance on religious texts, but blind dependence on the 
guidance of Zen teachers is acceptable
o     An accredited Roshi is necessary to ascertain one's experience of 
kensho-satori
o     etc.
Chan has a few more premises like the existence of Chi, etc.
--ED
 
--- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> wrote:
>
> Kristy,
> 
> Just THIS is my attempt to communicate direct experience.
> 
> Whether you believe that or not is up to you.
> 
> ...Bill! 
 
> --- In [email protected], Kristy McClain healthyplay1@ wrote:
> >
> > Bill,
> >  
> > I disagree.  It is your belief about  your experience.
> >  
> > Kristy
 
> > Just THIS is not a belief, it is experience...Bill!

> > --- In [email protected], Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@> wrote:
> > >
> > > So is "just this".  k ;)

> > > Science is a belief system...Bill!
> > > 
> > > --- In [email protected], JMJM wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello TMSO,
> > > > 
> > > > I would say both are NOT believe systems.
> > > > 
> > > > From my limited understanding, Tao is a system, or school well 
> > > > documented. It primarily focuses on attaining immortality. I mean with 
> > > > herbs, exercises, etc. etc.
> > > > 
> > > > Chan is just a nick name for the entire universe for thousands of 
> > > > years. I was curious to its origin many years ago. I dug here and
 
> > > > there and could not find an answer. Even Wikipedia stated, if I 
> > > > remember correctly, "the original of Chan can not be traced."
> > > > 
> > > > Chan did not have an official teaching order until BodhiDharma showed 
> > > > up. But my teacher often pointed out how incomplete are some of the 
> > > > Buddhist interpretation.
> > > > 
> > > > Our school is really about direct, really is direct, experience. That's 
> > > > all.
> > > > 
> > > > Sorry, these are my best answers. JM

 
> > > > On 1/12/2011 2:57 PM, taomtnsage1 wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > To Jue Miao Jing Ming- Could you please tell me some of the 
> > > > > differences between Tao and Chan. Also, which belief system developed 
> > > > > first. Thanks for your help
 


      

    
     

    
    


 



  





Reply via email to