--- In [email protected], Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Anthony, JM / All,
>  
> I was just replying to your  note when I read JM's comments. I thought I 
> might add some thoughts  about karma /rebirth. 
>  
> As for killing my lover?  Not a chance! Is there a difference?  My natural 
> inclination is , "yes, but  thinking about Bill's initial  question as to 
> "why", then re-examining JM's thoughts on karma /re-birth and  "direct 
> experience", maybe there is  more to it. 
>  
> It kinda  goes back to my comments a while back on the #1  danger on the 
> spiritual path---namely "certainty" that one's own path is the right path. I 
> want to defuse my comments initially by saying directly that I honor JM and 
> everyone who holds a belief in karma /re-birth. Though I do not believe 
> "direct experience" of this is authentic. One's belief is real, but I doubt 
> anyone here has died and been re-born in their current mortality.
>  
> Actually the value of "doubt" is the focus of  this post, as it related to 
> spiritual practice. Some here might know the book, "Confessions  of a 
> Buddhist Atheist"? The author was a monk  in the Korean zen tradition, I 
> think.  Its a discussion on cultivating "The Great Doubt", as a means to 
> suspend certainty--and I would add--judgement, thereby allowing a space 
> for  the opportunity for greater clarity or 'clear mind" to enter.  As I 
> understand it, this zen practice has a three-tier approach:  Great Faith ~  
> Great Doubt ~ Great Courage. So,  faith allows one to embrace the doubt,  
> which is possible due to the foundation of  "great  courage". Allowing 
> this process to flow can lead to "waking up" to an awareness  not possible  
> without embracing the doubt.  To re-state, faith and doubt co-exist as  one 
> moves thru this practice--again supported by courage.
>  
> I would agree that  this is hard.  It is easier to stay with beliefs and 
> practices that one has adopted as being valid or  right. Its easier to be 
> skeptical of other  realizations or perceptions. One thing that has troubled 
> me here is the tendency to label things in black or  white.  Its not all 
> science.  its not all karma.  Its a willingness to be vulnerable and open, 
> to  then  awaken to a deeper reality, and not  project one's own bias , 
> and more poignantly-- one's fears on another or  self.  Rigidity, beit in 
> science, spiritality or anything is a recipe for retreat, and cooresponding 
> fears are often rooted in our insecurities and shadows.  Embracing doubt can 
> provide a means to soothe one's heart in acknowledging  that we don't always 
> know the right answer.  Or at least thats true for myself.
>  
> Coming  back to killing my lover or a cockroach, and  how it relates to 
> karma /re-birth..
>  
> As I said before, I  think that a belief in karma represents a fear of 
> death, or the unknown. Its based in fear.    But its more than that.  I 
> agree with the book when he states that having some sort of  structural 
> meta-physical alliance that provides a moral "book-keeper",  that will, in 
> due time, settle the accounts by determing my ultimate outcome is--at best 
> implausible. And also a bit sad, if one assumes they deserve punishment, or 
> reward by something outside themselves. 
>  
> BUT-- if such a situation exists, how can I know that the cockroach I stepped 
> on  now  is not a proxy for my lover in my past life?  Theoretically 
> then-- killing is killing.  But since I doubt this belief, I'll love my 
> husband in the flesh.. and dispose of the roach.
>  
> I will add that I do believe that I am accountable for my actions. I believe 
> the consequences will confront me here in this life.  But I'm open to 
> learning;) Be well.
>  
> Kristy
> 
  Hi Kristy. Thank you for your very interesting comments. I certainly agree 
with you in regards to doubt. As Seung Sahn said, 
"Keep that 'I don't know' mind!" I try not to get hung-up on stuff I can't 
personally verify for myself, such as what happens after death.
What I have been able to verify for myself is suffering and the basis for 
suffering in my own life. In regards to karma, I have seen that when I 
encourage a hateful thought, hate follows me. When I encourage a greedy 
thought, greed follows me. When I encourage a deluded thought, delusion follows 
me. If there is an afterlife, then no doubt the consequences of thought, word 
and deed will follow me there, as well. Seeing the fact that all phenomena come 
and go encourages me to cherish people right now. Seeing that phenomena are 
interdependant and cannot exist separately shows me that my happiness is 
inextricably
interwoven with the happiness of others. At the same time, I see within myself 
a serene trust that at the very heart of life is a profound Compassion that 
will never abandon me. I did not cause or choose this trust. These are what I 
can personally verify, and that is quite enough for me right now. 
Steve 



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to