--- In [email protected], Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>  
> Reflecting, my heart  tells me to share something else. In my life 
> experience, I have learned that enabling others to stay  in their own 
> behaviors, addictions, bigotry, violence and the like, by soothing them or 
> offering a "soft-spot-to-land" rarely works. More often than not, in due 
> time--they are worse off later on, and they  created more chaos and 
> suffering  for self and others.
>  
> Holding one's own, and others feet to the  fire as they say can be the among 
> the most effective way to "wake them up"-- before they suffer  tragic life 
> consequences.  We just witnessed something here in AZ.   I admit that I 
> don't understand  ideas like karma /re-birth. I shut up and learn when 
> discussions about  lineages, practices, historical  accounts and so on 
> dominate the thread-line.  I'm here to learn, and do--as time permits.
>  
> That said, while I  deeply understand your  point  on evoking  hate, 
> greed, delusion, and negativity, I think  my perspective is a bit 
> different.  I don't  believe that avoiding or preventing  all suffering is 
> a good thing.  We all have to be confronted with our own hate, greed, 
> delusion in order to recognize it  in ourselves, and find a means to resolve 
> it peacefully.  It is, in my view, confronting the shadows within that serve 
> us--and others.  I realized some years ago that being  the warmest, 
> sweetest, gentlest person  is not authentic with who I am, or why I exist in 
> this incarnation.  I am very loving-- but  indeed, confronting. While it 
> doesn't always taste good to others, my role is as necessary as any other.
>  
> Beyond that, I don't always do the right thing. I am  mindful of the 
> instruction, "First-- do no harm".   I apologize if I did so here.    k
>  
> 
  Hi Kristy. Oh, I don't think that we should enable negative behaviors in 
others! If you were to take karate lessons from me I don't think you would find 
me to be the sort who wants to give everyone a soft landing! LOL! But before 
you can fix other people you have to fix yourself. As long as you are 
acting-out knee-jerk addictions to hate, greed and delusion, you will not be 
able to see clearly to "remove the splinter from your brother's eye". But we 
are all in this together, and have to find ways to help ourselves and others to 
see clearly. When I talk about release from suffering, I certainly don't mean 
coddling either ourselves or others. I'm not advocating escapism, but insight. 
Sometimes this means confronting others with their negativity in direct and 
forceful ways. But one must always be careful not to just act-out one's own 
negative conditioning in the process. Very, very difficult. IMO.
Steve
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>
> 
 .
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to