On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:46 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Frank Cusack <fr...@linetwo.net> wrote:
> > So with a de facto fork (illumos) now in place, is it possible that two
> > zpools will report the same version yet be incompatible across
> > implementations?

This was already broken by Sun/Oracle when the deduplication feature was not
backported to Solaris 10. If you are running Solaris 10, then zpool version 29
features
are not implemented.

> Not likely: the Illumos community has developed a method for managing
> ZFS extensions in a way other than linear chronology.

This goes beyond the illumos community.

> I'm not sure that answer is helpful.  If they aren't revving the ID when
> features are added, how exactly is someone supposed to know the feature
> status of their release?  I know they were trying to compartmentalize
> features, but feature number is the quickest and easiest way to differentiate
> functionality.  If you have to filter through a list of potentially hundreds
> of features to determine compatibility, that's going to be a nightmare
> long-term (which is why most products use a version number in the first
> place).

This was discussed on the list last May.
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2011-May/048514.html

On Dec 27, 2011, at 6:57 PM, Rich Teer wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Frank Cusack wrote:
>
>> So with a de facto fork (illumos) now in place, is it possible that two
>> zpools will report the same version yet be incompatible across
>> implementations?

As shown above, this is already the case between Solaris 10 and 11.

> I hope not.  :-(

I agree, it is unfortunate.

> ISTR some super-secret, behind-closed-doors ZFS steering commitee being
> established to try to avoid such a nightmare scenario…

I wouldn't refer to the Oracle ZFS team in that way! There are lots of good
folks
striving to do the right thing there.

Oh, perhaps you are referring to the ZFS working group? If so, there are no
super-
secrets there. As the above URL states,
        The community of developers working on ZFS continues to grow, as does
        the diversity of companies betting big on ZFS.  We wanted a forum for
        these developers to coordinate their efforts and exchange ideas.  The
        ZFS working group was formed to coordinate these development efforts.
        The working group encourages new membership.  In order to maintain the
        group's focus on ZFS development, candidates should demonstrate
        significant and ongoing contribution to ZFS.

Note that the ZFS working group members represent several OSes beyond the
SunOS-derived OSes. If you are interested in porting ZFS to a new OS, then the
ZFS working group is interested in providing support.

For the truly open source illumos project, many of the former Sun ZFS team
regularly contribute to ZFS through the illumos developer community.
illumos-developer lists and archives are available at
        https://www.illumos.org/projects/site/wiki/Mailing_Lists

 -- richard

--

ZFS and performance consulting