Thank you for your reasoned and detailed response and subsequent followup.
This was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm curious, have you read, *End-to-end Data Integrity for File Systems: A
ZFS Case Study
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearch.cs.wisc.edu%2Fadsl%2FPublications%2Fzfs-corruption-fast10.pdf&ei=bNcOU5LjEKqqyAGWtoCwBg&usg=AFQjCNG67ZbJlh0A49o6kCZWu4N407qwqw&sig2=uq5IcLZsC_1gZLWPETel1w&bvm=bv.61965928,d.aWc>*
by
Zhang, et al?

Abstract: present a study of the effects of disk and memory corruption on
> file system data integrity. Our analysis focuses on Sun's ZFS, a modern
> commercial offering with numerous reliability mechanisms. Through careful
> and thorough fault injection, we show that ZFS is robust to a wide range of
> disk faults. We further demonstrate that ZFS is less resilient to memory
> corruption, which can lead to corrupt data being returned to applications
> or system crashes. Our analysis reveals the importance of considering both
> memory and disk in the construction of truly robust file and storage
> systems.

...memory corruptions still remain a serious problem to data integrity. Our
> results for memory corruptions indicate cases where bad data is returned to
> the user, operations silently fail, and the whole system crashes. Our
> probability analysis shows that one single bit flip has small but
> non-negligible chances to cause failures such as reading/writing corrupt
> data and system crashing.

Phil

--

---