Incidentally, that paper came up in a ZFS-related thread on Ars Technica just
the other day (as did the link to the FreeNAS forum post). Let me just quote
what I said there:

> The conclusion of the paper is that ZFS does not protect against in-memory
> corruption, and thus can't provide end-to-end integrity in the presence of
> memory errors. I am not arguing against that at all; obviously you'll want
> ECC on your ZFS-based server if you value data integrity -- just as you would
> if you were using any other file system. That doesn't really have anything to
> do with the claim that ZFS specifically makes lack of ECC more likely to
> cause total data loss, though.

The sections you quote below basically say that while ZFS offers good
protection against on-disk corruption, it does *not* effectively protect you
against memory errors. Or, put another way, the authors are basically finding
that despite all the FS-level checksumming, ZFS does not render ECC memory
unnecessary (as one might perhaps naively expect). No claim is being made that
memory errors affect ZFS more than other filesystems.