Japan attacked you first, so your agonizing over Hiroshima doesn't even enter
into the picture. There are no "right" people to bomb in Iraq.

Gary Smith wrote:

> I hope we bomb the right people, also. However, it isn't always easy to
> draw the line in the right place. Was the bombing of Hiroshima and
> Nagasaki justified? Must we have lost one million American soldiers
> invading Japan, just to keep from wiping out 300,000 Japanese people?
>
> I think we have been rather patient with Hussein. He stopped the
> inspections 4 years ago, and we haven't done anything about it, yet. We
> still wouldn't be doing anything about it, had the WTC not been toppled,
> killing thousands. If Hussein were just a big bully in the neighborhood,
> we would probably leave him alone. However, he is one that historically
> has shown he will use bio-chem warfare on peoples (Iran and the Kurds).
> He is known to have been seeking nuclear weapons. During the last war, he
> sought a burnt-earth strategy, setting fire to the Kuwaiti oil fields.
>
> Hussein may not be directly involved in the past attacks, but is part of
> a growing regional problem. Given what we know of history, if a new Nazi
> party arose in Germany, and Jews started disappearing into concentration
> camps; would you suggest we wait until they attacked us to do something
> about it?  I know America historically has striven to stay aloof,
> especially in war. However, we now live in an age of mass destruction.
> Would you suggest we wait until one of our major cities is left
> uninhabitable by a dirty bomb? The fall of the WTC damaged our economy,
> extending the recession for over a year. Imagine the economic damage if
> NYC, LA, or some other major city were evacuated and left empty for years
> while we cleaned up the radiation contamination. Is that what you are
> suggesting we do?
> I don't like the idea of having to invade Iraq. But I know that if we do,
> most of the rest of the Arab world will quietly submit, and back off from
> the idea of suicide bombers and mass destruction. If we can accomplish
> that ideal, then we have won a major victory. Secondly, we may succeed in
> bringing democracy into the region, as we did in Europe and Japan after
> WWII.
>
> Regardless of their current problems, Afghanis are better off now than
> they were a year ago. At least women can have a life, and soccer fields
> are for playing in-not for executions....
> K'aya K'ama,
> Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
> .geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
> "No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
> Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
>
> JWR:
> I just hope we strafe and bomb the right guy.  Are we certain that Saddam
> Hussein was behind the incidents that you mention?  It would be a shame
> if we clobber Peter for something that Paul did.
> I wonder how many Americans would be in favor of this war if it were
> between two evenly matched opponents?
>  Your friend and brother,
> John W. Redelfs, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [...]

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,