At 05:13 PM 9/25/02 -0700 Dan R Allen favored us with:

>Dan:
>Saddam   MAY NOT   have ordered the attacks, but it is very   LIKELY
that he was
>involved in the planning, or financial and intel support.
>  http://www.cnsnews.com/Pentagon/Archive/200109/PEN20010925a.html
>"the CIA is LOOKING INTO   whether one of the suicide pilots in the Sept.
11
>attacks - Mohammed Atta - met Iraqi agents while he was organizing his
>terrorist cell in the German city of Hamburg."
>"In addition, Jane's Foreign Report, a highly regarded intelligence
>publication, reports that Israel's military intelligence service, Aman,
>SUSPECTS   that Iraq sponsored the suicide attacks on the World Trade
Center
>and the Pentagon."
>
>He has supported, and continues to support the recruitment of suicide
>bombers by paying the surviving families:
>  http://www.cnsnews.com/ForeignBureaus/Archive/200204/FOR20020412f.html
>"Last week, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld criticized Saddam for
>increasing from $10,000 to $25,000 the compensation he is prepared to pay
>families who send one of their own to become a suicide bomber."
>
> From Marc's Globe and Mail article:
>[An aggressor must] "show a necessity of self-defence, instant,
>overwhelming, leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation."
>Daniel Webster U.S. Secretary of State.
>
>A pre-emptive strike is justifiable if the enemy is massing for the
attack,
>and there is no time left for negotiations. Saddam has shown a clear
>unwillingness to negotiate except where it will buy him time to act. We
>know that he is capable of building (may already have) WMD's, and a
>willingness to use them. He has a clear motive to place those weapons in
>the hands of terrorists to use against us. There is sufficient evidence
>SUGGEST   that he is part of the network known as "Al-queda" - whether as
>part of the inner circle, or just a active supporter it doesn't really
>matter. He clearly has the capability to work with them.
>
>Bomb Saudi before Iraq? Not while they show a willingness to work with us
>to at least reduce the terrorism - they did kick Osama Bin Laden out of
the
>country. On the other hand, Saddam's government, like the Taliban, is
>actively supporting terrorist activity, and so it must go before he has a
>chance to support another terrorist attack.

John:
Notice by the words I have highlighted above how tentative all these claims
are.   We are an honorable nation supposedly.  Do we attack a sovereign
nation just because it  MAY  have been involved in something or other.  I
seems to me that before we start a war that could kill hundreds of
thousands of men or even millions of men, we need to have conclusive proof,
not a lot of may haves.

Dan:
I used those words because _I_ don't have the SPECIFIC facts of Saddam's
involvement. I am making an assumption that those actually making the
decisions have better, more specific information than those of us who are
not.
Any war should be approached with extreme caution, but I am willing to
accept the US and Britain's word that there is credible evidence that
Saddam poses a immediate threat unless forced to back down.
More evidence that links are being uncovered:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20020926/D7M9AG1G0.html

John:
As for you claim that the Saudi's "show a willingness to work with us to at
least reduce the terrorism," I would like to see you support that
statement.  15 of the 19 who made the suicide attacks were Saudis.  Osama
bin Laden is Saudi.  Supposedly the attacks were motivated by his hatred of
US bases on Saudi soil.  The Saudis are still granting visas for travel to
the USA by way of various travel agencies, not requiring any screening by
our embassy there.   The Saudis have been financing much of the terrorism
in the Middle East.  And it is they who have been putting up money for the
families of suicide bomber, not Saddam Hussein.

Dan:
Where is the evidence that those 15 were sent by the Saudi government?
Osama bin Laden was exiled from Saudi Arabia well before the attacks.
Can you support your statement that the Saudi's are granting visas without
US approval? Anyone can print anything they want to, but that doesn't mean
that we have to allow them entry.
I'm aware that there is Saudi support for much of the Palestinian
terrorism, but do you have any evidence that they have been supporting
anti-American terrorism? Last I heard we still have bases in Saudi Arabia -
much to the consternation of OBL assuming he's still alive of course.
You need to go back and re-read that article I linked to, specifically the
paragraph that I also pasted with it.