Dan:
Saddam may not have ordered the attacks, but it is very likely that he was
involved in the planning, or financial and intel support.
  http://www.cnsnews.com/Pentagon/Archive/200109/PEN20010925a.html
"the CIA is looking into whether one of the suicide pilots in the Sept. 11
attacks - Mohammed Atta - met Iraqi agents while he was organizing his
terrorist cell in the German city of Hamburg."
"In addition, Jane's Foreign Report, a highly regarded intelligence
publication, reports that Israel's military intelligence service, Aman,
suspects that Iraq sponsored the suicide attacks on the World Trade Center
and the Pentagon."

He has supported, and continues to support the recruitment of suicide
bombers by paying the surviving families:
  http://www.cnsnews.com/ForeignBureaus/Archive/200204/FOR20020412f.html
"Last week, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld criticized Saddam for
increasing from $10,000 to $25,000 the compensation he is prepared to pay
families who send one of their own to become a suicide bomber."

>From Marc's Globe and Mail article:
[An aggressor must] "show a necessity of self-defence, instant,
overwhelming, leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation."
Daniel Webster U.S. Secretary of State.

A pre-emptive strike is justifiable if the enemy is massing for the attack,
and there is no time left for negotiations. Saddam has shown a clear
unwillingness to negotiate except where it will buy him time to act. We
know that he is capable of building (may already have) WMD's, and a
willingness to use them. He has a clear motive to place those weapons in
the hands of terrorists to use against us. There is sufficient evidence to
suggest that he is part of the network known as "Al-queda" - whether as
part of the inner circle, or just a active supporter it doesn't really
matter. He clearly has the capability to work with them.

Bomb Saudi before Iraq? Not while they show a willingness to work with us
to at least reduce the terrorism - they did kick Osama Bin Laden out of the
country. On the other hand, Saddam's government, like the Taliban, is
actively supporting terrorist activity, and so it must go before he has a
chance to support another terrorist attack.

Gary Smith favored us with:
>> Hussein may not be directly involved in the past attacks, but is part of
>> a growing regional problem. Given what we know of history, if a new Nazi
>> party arose in Germany, and Jews started disappearing into concentration
>> camps; would you suggest we wait until they attacked us to do something
>> about it?  I know America historically has striven to stay aloof,
>> especially in war. However, we now live in an age of mass destruction.
>> Would you suggest we wait until one of our major cities is left
>> uninhabitable by a dirty bomb? The fall of the WTC damaged our economy,
>> extending the recession for over a year. Imagine the economic damage if
>> NYC, LA, or some other major city were evacuated and left empty for
years
>> while we cleaned up the radiation contamination. Is that what you are
>> suggesting we do?

John:
This seem very close the thinking used by men who feel the Constitution is
obsolete because
"...we now live in an age of <fill in whatever you please>.  Right is
right.  And wrong is wrong.  It is wrong to go to war unless you have been
attacked by an aggressor.  And so far, no one has convinced me that the
attack on 9-11 was something financed and ordered by Saddam Hussein.  If we
are going to bomb some country back to the stone age, let's at least get
the right country.  We ought to bomb Saudi Arabia before Iraq.  Or... I
guess we could just declare war against the whole Islamic world.  That
might be fun.  I hope you all have a safe place to hide.

John W. Redelfs                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against
principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the
darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in
high [places]. (Ephesians 6:12)
"All my opinions are tentative pending further data." --JWR