Dan R Allen wrote:

> > Dan:
> > Where is the evidence that those 15 were sent by the Saudi government?
>
> Marc:
> Their passports. John didn't say they were sent by the Saudi government, he
> merely pointed out that they were Saudis, which is true.
>
> Dan:
> I wasn't denying that they were Saudi's; only that they were not operating
> under orders from the Saudi government. On the other hand, Iraq's
> government, through Saddam, has been linked to terrorism.

Precisely. You challenged John to show why the Saudi government sent them. I
pointed out that they didn't. I'm happy that you've come around to our way of
thinking ;-)

> > Osama bin Laden was exiled from Saudi Arabia well before the attacks.
>
> ???On the WTC.??? - What does this mean?
>  But he orchestrated the first WTC bombing and the bombing of the USS
> Cole, plus the bombing of a disco in Berlin, from his base in Sudan, where
> he
> likely is now (if not in Kashmir).
>
> Marc:
> The government almost certainly not, but I'm not aware of anyone making
> that
> claim. It is the "fraternal brotherhoods," the "Ikhwan" (association of
> Moslem
> Brotherhood -- like the Knights of Columbus to the Catholics) and
> madrassam, or
> religious schools, that do the fund-raising. They are based in Saudi
> because
> "that's where the money is."
>
> Dan:
> And this is what I was talking about. The Saudi government is not
> supporting this (at least officially), but is unable to deal with
> brotherhoods without losing support and power.

The worst problem is actually in Pakistan, closely followed by Egypt. Pakistan is
the 2nd largest recipient of foreign aid from the US (after Israel), and Egypt is
3rd. He that hath ears and can count....

> > Last I heard we still have bases in Saudi Arabia -
>
> Marc:
> You have one base near Dhohar, and its status is in doubt. When you build a
> base
> in a foreign country its status is always that of a guest installation of
> the
> host country. You know, like Guantanamo Bay and Panama City. Well, on
> second
> thought, let's not go too far with the hospitality thang.
>
> Dan:
> Nevertheless, it is still there, and still in operation. The personnel are
> even allowed to leave the base and play the tourist in town. I suspect that
> this is also the base where the Southern Iraqi no-fly zone is patrolled
> from.
> Germany would probably be a better example for what you're looking for.

I'm not sure what you mean about "what [I'm] looking for," but very generally
speaking I approve of the German approach. The Saudi government, incidentally,
promised to pull US troops out of Dhahran, but they have yet to. This has made
some fundamentalists furious. Saudi Arabia presents itself not just as a
nation-state, but as "Guardian of the Two Holy Cities" (of Mecca and Medina), so
it has special meaning to most Moslems.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,