Jim Fulton wrote:
On Apr 23, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote:
--On 23. April 2008 09:20:00 -0600 Shane Hathaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
AFAIK, Jim is working on major ZODB changes for ZODB 3.9. Could we move those major changes into ZODB 3.10 and create ZODB 3.9 with only modest
feature enhancements, then use ZODB 3.9 with Zope 2.11?
Zope 2.11 will ship with ZODB 3.8 - not with 3.9.
I am suggesting we change that decision and simultaneously make ZODB 3.9 only slightly different from ZODB 3.8.

The ZODB trunk already has some significant changes from 3.8.

I'm sorry, I must have expressed the idea unclearly. Here is what I am suggesting:

1. Declare that the ZODB trunk is the future ZODB 3.10 rather than ZODB 3.9.

2. Create a ZODB 3.9 branch as an exact copy of ZODB 3.8.

3. Check in only a few minor patches to the new ZODB 3.9 branch.

4. Include the new, less-different ZODB 3.9 in Zope 2.11.

That way, Zope 2.11 can include some minor enhancements to ZODB that we wouldn't be able to include if we shipped Zope 2.11 with ZODB 3.8 (since ZODB 3.8 is already released).

The desire for this is driven by the view that it will be a long time before we see another ZODB release. I hope I don't have to wait years to get my ZODB patch included.

Shane