John's point is correct.   I was focusing exclusively on the
zone mount point because it has a unique limitation.  As John points
out you can add a zfs filesystem to the non-global zone and apply
limitations to that filesystem.  In fact, you can add a legacy mode
zfs file system through zonemgr.  You can also ro/rw mount any
file system that you have created in the global zone with the -r <dir>
and -w <dir> parameters of zonemgr as well.

Enjoy!

Brad