Hello Tony,

The zone type by default is sparse.  Thus /usr and other filesystems
will be inherited in read-only mode from the global zone.  I suspect
that all of the SMC* packages that gave errors included pre or post
processing scripts that attempted to change permissions of files or
directories associated with the package contents.  Changing permissions
on a read-only filesystem will fail and hence you get the errors that
you saw.  Lastly, some packages are marked for global zone only.
Thus installation of global specific packages into non-global zones
is expected to fail.

Brad