> Another option: Have you tried using the Automated Installer
> to install OpenSolaris without X, Gnome, etc.?

In regards to using or not using the automated installer, keep in mind that
some network administrators are VERY much against allowing anyone besides
themselves to deploy a DHCP server anywhere on their network for security
reasons (i.e. they won't let me do it, and just because me wanting to do it has
something to do with this new unproven "OpenSolaris" thing that people are
skeptical about doesn't justify it either). This "NO UNAUTHORIZED DHCP SERVERS
ON THE NETWORK!" security policy many network admins have is something
important to keep in mind as a lot of Sun's customers are very security focused
and this is one of the main things that has been keeping me from using
automated OpenSolaris installs in production. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (which
is what a lot of my customers use) is immune to this "NO DHCP SERVERS" rule
because the automated RHEL "kickstart" installs don't require a DHCP server,
all it requires is that the Red Hat Anaconda installer can read the kickstart f
 ile from "somewhere" and that "somewhere" could be on a USB thumbdrive, on a
custom made CD / DVD image, on a server somewhere on the network, etc. (anybody
who has worked as an RHEL sysadmin and knows how kickstart works knows what I'm
talking about).

I think the lack of a supported server distro is overall a big issue (maybe the
biggest issue) because it prevents Sun from getting server revenue from
OpenSolaris that would bring lots of money in from paying customers like me
that could be used to fund more projects, hire more people to work on the code,
and thus make OpenSolaris even better than it already is. I'm a compulsive risk
taker, so I can guarantee that I would definitely have already been using
OpenSolaris in production somewhere back in the 2008.05 days and I would have
definitely bought support for it IF it could be installed as a minimal server
OS (like Nexenta Core) and supported the applications that we use (i.e.
postfix, oracle, etc.). Right now, I haven't bought any support from Sun for
OpenSolaris, and that's because all of my clients are using RHEL and Ubuntu
Server and sending their support fee money over to those companies.

Right now OpenSolaris Indiana is stuck between a rock and a hard place. In it's
current configuration it caters very heavily to desktop users, but desktop
users won't use it (they'll use Ubuntu or Mac OS X) because desktop users want
to do things like put music on their ipod with itunes  or watch movies with VLC
media player (things that are almost impossible to do on OpenSolaris unless you
have genius level VLC player compiling capabilities like kronox from
lifewithsolaris.jp has).

What about using OpenSolaris 2009.06 for a large organization's primary mail
server? Let's see, do I need Firefox on my mail server? Nope. Do I need
X-windows? Nope. Do I need Gnome games on my server? Nope.

Well, what do I need on my mail server for a 1000 person plus organization? I
need postfix, and dovecot and squirrelmail. But guess what? There's no official
posfix package available from Sun even though the opensolaris.org mailing list
runs on Postfix!!! Postfix is available from Blastwave, but we want to buy
support from Sun for our company's mail server that handles the company's
important e-mails, so yeah, we would like to be able to pay for the right to
open a trouble ticket with Sun if we have problems with Postfix on Solaris....

So I guess if I want to deploy a Postfix server for a large business (something
I do at least a dozen times a year) and I want to have paid-for support, I'm
pretty much forced to use Ubuntu Server or RHEL or Suse then aren't I?

People like me in the OpenSolaris community who work as RHCE Linux consultants
for a living want to help Sun out and send revenue from some yearly support
contract fees over to Sun, but Sun makes it almost impossible for us to do
this, so I'm stuck using the same "if it ain't broke why fix it" Linux-based
business model that I've been living off of for the last 4 years :-(