On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Anon Y Mous<no-re...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
>> One thing I've found to be true though: either a machine is all zoned, or
>> not.
>> It gets horribly confusing to have real activity in the global zone,
>> where you can half see the non-global zones, so if you have zones
>> on a machine then it's easier to run nothing in the global zone and
>> just use it as an administrative container.
>
> Since you brought it up. I think what we really need is an officially
> supported OpenSolaris Indiana 2009.xx SERVER distribution from Sun
> Microsystems that can be downloaded from genunix.org and does what you just
> described: i.e. it installs itself with no X-windows and just runs as a
> command line only minimal "administrative container" for zones with no GNOME
> desktop, no Thunderbird mail reader, no GNOME games, etc. etc.

There is humorous irony here, given how much 'flak' Sun took over the
years for its outdated GUI - until Solaris adopted Gnome. Now that
[Open}Solaris have a modern UI, you want to get rid of it... ;-)

Seriously, it would be helpful for Sun to understand the advantages of
a release that doesn't have a GUI as an option. In other words, what
problems are caused by the existence of the GUI software (besides
wasted disk space)?

Instead of a separate distro, perhaps it would be simpler for
everybody if there was a "no-GUI server" installation option that
simply doesn't install the GUI tools. Would that meet your needs?

Another option: Have you tried using the Automated Installer to
install OpenSolaris without X, Gnome, etc.?

> A lot of my paying clients are big time Linux users, they pay $$$$ for RHEL
> and for the long term supported versions of Ubuntu Server, etc. and they have
> been wanting to try migrating some server instances over to OpenSolaris
> Indiana within the last six months or so to gain benefits from zones and ZFS,
> they like OpenSolaris Indiana for the most part, but they've been very turned
> off by the fact that OpenSolaris Indiana forces them to have all this desktop
> software installed when what they really want is a minimal server OS (similar
> to Ubuntu's "Ubuntu Server" distribution that comes without a GNOME desktop)
> and they also didn't like the fact that I wasn't able to deploy any new zones
> for a while when the IPS repository went down a while ago.

I believe that you can now create a local repository. This might help:
http://wikis.sun.com/display/IpsBestPractices/Setting+Up+and+Maintaining+Package+Repositories
("Setting Up and Maintaining Package Repositories").

--
--JeffV