Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:36:37 -0400
From: Phil Marx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fan removal/ LH Threads/ was Wheel Bearing

Lee wrote:
>I've always heard that BMW's have relatively small radiators for the kind of
>car (i.e. not an econobox).  I guess to some extent, that can be offset by
>the mechanical fan.  When he (friend) asked why BMW didn't use a bigger
>radiator, I pointed to the engine comparment & asked where he'd like to put
>it.  Even my Saabs have had huge radiators compared to my BMW (& others I've
>seen) and electric fans that continue to run even after the car is shut off
>prompting, "dude, your car's still running" many, many times.

My '98 318ti doesn't have a mechanical fan and lord knows it could
use all the horsepower it can muster! It's threaded for a clutch/fan
but there isn't one there. Maybe the previous owner took it off?!
Works fine though. I don't think any M42/44 E36 sedan-coupes have
them either but I can't say about the Z-series 4-cylinders. I know
the E30 318is had one.

None on my Chrysler van which became obvious on our trip to the beach
a couple of weeks ago when the electric fan motor gave it up. No
problem pulling 85mph on the highway and even stop-and-go in city
traffic to some extent, but you didn't want to leave it idling with
the a/c on while the ladies went into the beachwear emporium! First
trip was off-beach to Autozone for a jumper wire to test the fan
motor. I'd only brought along one and bridged the relay with that to
no avial. Chrysler sells the fan as a unit including blade and shroud
for $260 but no one had one in stock. Autozone and Advance Auto sold
motors-only that their computer said fit. Heavy Duty and normal both
for about $40. Trouble was the fan had stuck to the motor shaft like
someone had smacked it with a hammer upon assembly for good measure
in case the clip came apart. That meant purchasing a flat file and
spending some vacation time dressing the shaft until the fan blade
slid off. Then I found the motor was riveted to the frame, so I had
to drop it off at a local beach-side repair shop for a couple of
hours for them to have a "technician" grind off the rivets ($12).
Back to pick up the heavy duty motor (1" longer, no problem. Do I
know a deal when I see one?), of course the supplied bolts were too
short and Autozone didn't have any longer ones. Back to the beach
hardware store and then search for heavy-gauge wire Scotch-locks
since the "universal" motor had no built-in plug. That took visits to
three other mercantile establishments. Everything humming along just
fine, then some body surfing with the kids took all that accumulated
grime I picked up from woking on a 188,000-mile family-truckster off
my hands and arms, pronto. Saltwater, waves, and sand are recommended
after any car repair project.

-Phil