Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 00:47:01 +0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: E30 brake upgrade

My fiance is going to give me the money to upgrade the brakes on my E30 318iS
for Christmas. I in turn am buying her an E28 //M535i with a dog-leg box :-)

Now I've looked at many options for the upgrade over the years. But short of
spending big $ on Wilwood calipers I see a cheaper option.

I'm looking at VW Corrado G60 280mm discs and calipers, I know the discs fit.
Trouble is the mounting bracket to attach them to an E30 strut. I've been half
planning to get a strut from a dead E30 and use it to develop the right
bracket, but never had time.

Does anyone know of a good solution?

I could maybe use E28 front calipers as these take 280x25mm discs. Does anyone
know if the bracket fitment is the same (granted it's a very long shot!).

The E34 uses 302x22 discs, they fit under 15" alloys and stop wonderfully. But
I don't know where to get a four bolt disc that size. And I'd likely need a
larger diameter 635CSi(?) master cylinder I think?

I really don't have the time or energy to convert to five bolt hubs sadly.

One last question. If I just put in a larger master cylinder with the current
setup will I see any advantage other than a firmer pedal?

This is for B road use, not track.

--
www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html - The Ultimate BMW Website :-)