--- Bryon Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What's the main reason for that, do you think,
> Gautam?  Kerry's
> post-Vietnam anti-war activities?  The Swift-boat
> stuff?  Of the few
> vets I know, none seem to care as much as I would
> have thought about
> the Vietnam-era stuff.  Or is it just distrust of
> his policies?

I think it's a combination of a few things.  The first
time I heard about Kerry's Vietnam War activities was
from a security guard in my old office, who was a 20
year Navy vet (and registered Democrat) who _hated_
John Kerry and told me that he was sure that Kerry's
medals were invalid.  I completely disagreed with him
and thought this was just old service gossip.
Possibly he should have been the consultant and I
should have been the security guard.  The second is
the generalized distance between the Democratic Party
and the military since Vietnam, as much of the
military feels (rightly or wrongly) that the American
left turned against the armed forces then, and things
haven't changed since.  I still hear people talking
about the Clinton staffer who told Barry McCaffrey "I
don't talk to people in uniform."  So it's distrust of
his policies, too.  Beyond that...well, Sam
Huntington's first big book, _The Soldier and the
State_, talked about the natural conservatism of
successful militaries.  Huntington, as always, had a
point (even if I don't agree with everything he said,
but hey, he's got more political science talent in his
pinkie finger than I do in my whole body, so I
disagree with caution), and it's still true today.

> Why would Wes Clark alienate the military even more
> than Kerry?

I'd put it this way.  I know ~10 senior officers
(counting active duty and retired generals, colonels,
and lieutenant colonels) well enough that I feel
comfortable asking them about their political views
and their opinions of their fellow officers.  I'm
being unspecific to preserve their anonymity, since
these were all personal conversations.  They _all_
have a low opinion of Wes Clark.  One whom I've known
for five years has only once, in that entire time,
said anything personally critical about _anyone_ to
me, and that person was Wes Clark.  For several of
them, the word "despise" comes to mind to describe
their feelings.  "Arrogant", "self-absorbed", "not a
team player", "abusive to subordinates", etc. are used
with some frequency.  I've never met the man myself,
so I can't comment in person, but these are all people
I respect - two of them are among the five people I
most respect on earth - and at least one of them is a
fairly major Kerry supporter (and so hardly a
Republican partisan) and they really, really, really
opposed Clark's run for the Presidency.  So in Kerry's
case, it's a combination of politics and personality.
In Clark's case, I don't think they _cared_ about his
politics, they just knew the guy.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]