On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:53:16PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> As already mentioned. DVD+RW supports write of randomly addressed 2KB
> blocks even to *virgin* media (well, when you write 2KB, 32KB gets
> naturally written/de-iced], and naturally rewrite in random order at
> later occasion. Randomly written DVD+RW disc is *indistinguishable* from
> one written progressively/streamed. DVD+R media can be written
> progressively in 32KB ECC blocks, *but* uninterrupted streaming is not a
> requirement [you can even eject media between writes]. DVD+R media
> written progressively with interrupts is *indistinguishable* from one
> written streamed/in one single take. All this thanks to "high [spatial]
> frequency wobbled [pre-]groove with addressing information modulated
> into it."

Even if DVD+RW is "superior" to DVD-R. What does it REALLY buy you?

Is there any REAL practical use for writing to the 4GB position on a
virgin media?

And personally i would NEVER use a rewritable medium that isn't build
into a caddy. (Neither - or + fit this requirement. DVD-RAM would fit)

As i "joke" i bought 2 DVD-RW media and used them to transport some data
to a college of me, after 3 rounds the media weren't usable anymore,
because of to many scratches. So the R(e)W(rite) is more theoretical
then practical in my eyes. (OK there are "DVD+R" now)

If i need TRUE "random" access, DVD-RAM is much better for the job. OK
disadvantage is that nearly nobody has this (if you want to use such a
media to transport data.) and even if DVD-RAMs were readable by a normal
DVD drive the media wouldn't fit because i haven't see a DVD drive with
a caddy latly.

For transporting data to/from the place i work i use a 20GB 2,5" HDD
build into a firewire-enclosure. With around 15MB/s this outperforms
everything else on the portable market. (Excluding 3,5 HDD built into a
firewire enclosure)

Bis denn