Hi all,

Andreas Tille, on 2024-02-28:
> Am Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 04:08:51PM +0100 schrieb Timo Röhling:
> > I guess the motivation behind the weak collaboration model is that some
> > packages have hidden "gotchas", which a casual team uploader might not know.
> > For instance, pygit2 is one of multiple libgit2 language bindings which all
> > need to be upgraded in lock-step when a new upstream version is released.
>
> You are making an important point here.

Thanks Timo for raising this point, it is important indeed.

> > Instead of restricting collaboration, we could let policy encourage
> > maintainers to state such constraints in debian/README.DPT and ask team
> > members to check that file before they team-upload.
>
> I think this is a very good idea.  In case MR[1] will be accepted this
> should be added to the policy as well.  I'm not sure whether the
> "Maintainership" paragraph is the best place to add this.  I wonder if
> you (or someone with the same doubts) might want to suggest another MR
> to add this debian/README.DPT feature.

Policy changes aside, I think it could be useful for the
routine-update command to stop when such file is hit, in order
to raise the importance that the package has quirks, and should
not be casually updated without involved scrutiny.  I wonder
whether this can be generalized, like if d/README.source file is
present?  (Although the latter use is codified[2] and I'm not
confident it is 100% suitable for such purpose: I see many such
files on my radar which do not necessarily hint for quirks.)

Of course this could be overred with a --readme-reviewed flag
once ready to finalize the package with automation for instance.

> [1]
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/-/merge_requests/20
[2]:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#source-package-handling-debian-readme-source

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emoll...@debian.org>
 : :' :  pgp: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da