Hi Étienne,

Am Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 09:37:59AM +0100 schrieb Étienne Mollier:
> > > Instead of restricting collaboration, we could let policy encourage
> > > maintainers to state such constraints in debian/README.DPT and ask team
> > > members to check that file before they team-upload.
> >
> > I think this is a very good idea.  In case MR[1] will be accepted this
> > should be added to the policy as well.  I'm not sure whether the
> > "Maintainership" paragraph is the best place to add this.  I wonder if
> > you (or someone with the same doubts) might want to suggest another MR
> > to add this debian/README.DPT feature.
>
> Policy changes aside,
(Thus changed subject. ;-) )

> I think it could be useful for the
> routine-update command to stop when such file is hit, in order
> to raise the importance that the package has quirks, and should
> not be casually updated without involved scrutiny.  I wonder
> whether this can be generalized, like if d/README.source file is
> present?  (Although the latter use is codified[2] and I'm not
> confident it is 100% suitable for such purpose: I see many such
> files on my radar which do not necessarily hint for quirks.)
>
> Of course this could be overred with a --readme-reviewed flag
> once ready to finalize the package with automation for instance.

I like all your suggestions.  When reading Timo's suggestion about
debian/README.DPT I also thought about rather using the more generic
debian/README.source.  In any case I agree that routine-update should
respect such debian/README.* (except debian/README.Debian which is
user oriented).

I admit I like this kind of constructive discussion.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de