Jose A. Amador wrote:
> I almost always used JNOS with KISS interfaces, it is a natural way of
> using it. TNC's under MSDOS, and also thru pipes under Linux with
> net2kiss (I would have to go back to the manual to remember a few
> details). It could be interfaced with the BPQ switch, so FBB, JNOS, the
> BPQ switch could share the same KISS TNC.

Lot's of discussion, planning, and work has gone on in this area in the
ALE space.

The short version is with AX.25 packet, the session & link layers are
already taken care of. KISS is just a way to communicate with the TNC
and assumes the existence of AX.25 type link layers.

With other HF protocols those layers sometimes have equivalents, but not
defined as such and never in a form that can be directly leveraged in JNOS.

Even devices like the SCS P3 modems have had to bridge this gap with
supplementary commands, etc.

So you can't just implement a KISS interface and magically have a new
mode working with JNOS.

I still think KISS is the right approach for portability, but there is
lot's of design work needed to add the additional layers.

Same for "we'll just use TCP/IP".... way too much overhead in the
protocol, and it does not respond well to HF reality. Timing and retries
just will not work on HF. lot's of mil/gov research in this area. SMTP
is very "chatty", with almost a dozen back & forth exchanges to send a
message. There are some HF tuned SMTP equivalents, but they really do
not add any value over some of the approaches currently in use in the
ham world. Which brings us to......

Regarding FBB interface, Patrick is right, it's the defacto standard,
well understood, and even implemented inside the WL2K systems. It's also
the model we used for BBSLink & ALE.

The challenge on HF is that interactive bbs type chat's are extremely
inefficient, especially with low bandwidth protocols. To the point that
many HF BBS's now discourage interactive sessions.

So for BBSLink we went with a very compressed approach. Same general
command set as FBB, but in a form that you can initiate a message with
subject line in a single line of text, followed by the body of the
message in subsequent lines if it's a multi-line message. BBSLink then
translates to the session "chat" needed with the gateway system, be it
FBB, MSYS, WL2k, or SMTP.

This allows us to interface with pretty much any of the major bbs/email
gateways. Right now most of the work is with WL2K & SMTP message
domains, but there is no reason the SMTP host could not be a NOS session
coresident on the same box. Or an MSYS style FBB box.

If you examine bbslink commands, you'll see the exact FBB commands: SP
(send private), RM, LM, etc

For several reasons we did not emulate the full forwarding syntax of the
BBS world, as it really starts to increase the scope as you get into
"store & forward".  Once you accept a message, you own it, including
communicating failure back to the initiating session. Big
responsibility. So by design bbslink is stateless. The message handoff
either succeeds immediately, or it fails. And the initiating station
knows either way. It's the only safe way, as there is no guarantee that
you will ever be able to reach the sending station again if the message
fails, etc.

We also chose not to duplicate existing messaging infrastructure.
Instead, we decided to focus on leveraging the 3 most common messaging
gateways encountered in the ham world. (SMTP, WL2K, F6FBB/W0RLI) Doing
so bridges networks, rather than fragmenting the amateur community
further. Common message systems are a big win, separate ones slowly die.
(Genie, AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy, teletext, etc)

So if you want compatibility with NOS/MSYS, etc, that is already working
in the ALE world. You don't need KISS, it's done at the session layer
using TCP/IP and direct socket based transfers.

SMTP is the most prevalent, whether the "big I" Internet or entered into
a ham/mars packet system via NOS SMTP gateway. Or even MSYS. You could
argue that SMTP is the defacto standard in messaging gateways as pretty
much all systems support it in some form.

I still owe Patrick documentation on how to interact with bbslink (or
emulate entirely) which should help bridge the networks further. The
external bbslink interface is documented. I just need to write up the
internal interface so multi-psk can be used as transport as well.

All of this is good dialog, and worth exploring. It's just sometimes
harder to make play than just picking protocols.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba

<*> Your email settings: