" For several reasons we did not emulate the full forwarding syntax of the
BBS world, as it really starts to increase the scope as you get into "store
& forward".  Once you accept a message, you own it, including communicating
failure back to the initiating session. Big responsibility. So by design
bbslink is stateless. The message handoff either succeeds immediately, or it
fails. And the initiating station knows either way. It's the only safe way,
as there is no guarantee that you will ever be able to reach the sending
station again if the message fails, etc.

We also chose not to duplicate existing messaging infrastructure.
Instead, we decided to focus on leveraging the 3 most common messaging
gateways encountered in the ham world. (SMTP, WL2K, F6FBB/W0RLI) Doing so
bridges networks, rather than fragmenting the amateur community further.
Common message systems are a big win, separate ones slowly die.
(Genie, AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy, teletext, etc)"

I am not technically gifted in any way, shape or form. I am heavily involved
in the art of emergency planning and communications plans.

Let me paint a little scenario for you:

A small community (<3000) 100 miles from the nearest major center has been
sideswiped by a twister, and has lost communications with the rest of the
world ....VHF down, cell towers down and telephone exchange damaged. Fire
EMS and Police have responded, using tactical voice comms systems still
working , or supported by ARES on a wide area 2M repeater
The local hospital, which also house the community ECC (Emergency
Co-ordination Center) has numerous casualties. all responding agencies
require additional materials, and as recovery phase starts, Salvation Army
and Red Cross need to pass health and welfare traffic.

Tactical voice comms are at 100% capacity by the responding agencies, and
will be close to 100% over the next few operational periods. Other working
systems in the area (ie utilities)are also running close to 100%.

ARES has responded with a command unit which has HF data capability. This
could include a WIFI router so that laptops could be included from the local
EOC. This command unit would work back into an EOC with data and internet
connections. ARES would be tasked with passing text messages, destined both
for the EOC and to other outside agencies and base hospitals. WL2K is an
option , other SMTP sound card modes..... at higher speeds would also work,
such as RFSM8000.

What would be our non VHF options?

John
VE5MU