Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Melchior FRANZ
>

>>* Jon S. Berndt -- Monday 19 December 2005 05:04:
>>
>>>Would it be possible to change the visual appearance of wing flex during
>>>flight?
>>
>>As Curt and Joacim have mentioned already, there are ways to do it:
>>
>>(A) ornithopter method: several instances of the wing. This has the
>>    disadvantage that you'd need a lot of them for smooth transitions.
>>    No problem for the fast moving ornithopter, but one would probably
>>    need a *lot* of such instances for a glider wing.
>>
>>(B) bo105 method: wing/blade made of smaller parts that are each
>>    animated with smaller rotations. Smooth movements, but the hinges
>>    between them can look quite ugly. Not a big problem for the bo105,
>>    because the blade is dull and black. Wouldn't work well for a shiny
>>    white wing.
>>
>>(C) tween method: this isn't implemented in fgfs yet, but plib offers
>>    an ssgTweenController ("A morph controller") class. Maybe "we" should
>>    make it available in fgfs for wings/blades. It interpolates between
>>    two or more objects with the same number of vertices&faces, so one
>>    would only need two instances of the wing and could smoothly
>>    interpolate. Would probably work better than either (A) or (B).
>>    (see http://plib.sourceforge.net/ssg/branches.html and the
>>    test application: $PLIB/examples/src/ssg/tween_test/tween_test.cxx)
>>

> The tween method would be the way to go. There might well be other
> applications for this animation: I'm thinking of pilot animation in
> particular. So the effort involved could be well worth it.
>
> Vivian

> 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

Ohh! Ohh! I have dibs on the Nakoma Narrows bridge! And let's see,
towers in high winds, windsocks, parachutes, giant cartoon balloons, jet
exhaust cones, smoke and fuzzy dice in the cockpit! This is gonna be
fun. I wonder what the performance hist will be. I assume that it will
go linearly with the number of vertecies.

Josh