Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Monday 16 March 2009 22:43:22 Tim Moore wrote:
>> I'm working on something that might completely ignore the material settings
>> in the .ac file, but I think that's OK. I'm adding support for effects
>> files that specify, in addition to the material and parameter properties we
>> have now in the .ac file, shaders, uniform parameters for the shaders,
>> fallbacks for environments that don't have shaders. So far I've been
>> working with the terrain, but my idea for models is to associate an effect
>> with a material in the .ac file by using the material's name.
> Ok!
>
> How does this handle scenery wide settings like fog or changes to the fog
> settings?
That needs to be handled in the shader program. The OpenGL fog parameters are
available as uniforms in shaders.
> How does this interact with the proposed changes of Robert Osfield to plug
> together shader programs from some fixed pipeine state attributes together
> with
> custom parts of the scenegraph user?
> Did you follow this discussion on osg-users?
I have been following that. I think that work applies to a situation where you
don't have a fixed function pipeline anymore -- like in OpenGLES 2.0 and OpenGL
3.x
-- and want to keep OSG programs that use state sets running. Eventually, as we
use
shaders more ourselves and want to run in these new environments, we'll need to
worry about being compatible, but for now it's not an issue.

>> There will more to comment on when I check in the first effects stuff later
>> this week.
> I am curious!!!!! :)
>
> So what files/parts are you working on. I have some time this week, as you
> might have noticed. I do not want to introduce unnecessary (CVS) conflicts
> with
> your work ...

I don't think we'll conflict. I've made a bunch of changes to SGExpression.hxx,
some
hacks to the property system, and files in scene/material.

Tim