Not to be a wet blanket but I don't think we really should concern
ourselves with how well new TF2 communities can spring up.

The game is 7 years old now, it's hard to try and recreate the
pre-quickplay, pre-f2p environment that existed when so many of the bigger
communities got started.

This is really no different than a lot of areas, if you don't get in on the
ground floor, you have to really bust your ass to stand out - there just
are too many existing, high-quality choices at this point.