I also wanted to quickly point out that according to McKay's graph
(http://i.imgur.com/91xNnU1.png), quickplayers are mostly free-to-play
folks.  This means that Valve has made absolutely no money on them in
regards to TF2.  The people who are using the community market and
buying things in the Mann Co Store are the ones who generally play on
community servers.  The whole "I want to look cool in-game" business
model doesn't really work on people who are constantly playing with
randoms.  Users need to get matched to community servers in order for
them to regularly play with the same people, make in-game friends, and
ultimately buy items.

I'm sure Valve has more statistics on that that we do, but from what
where I sit, this decision seems somewhat silly.

Maybe their hopes are that less people will use the quickplay system,
which could totally happen, but not before a bunch of good communities
die out due to lack of traffic.