> (lit by a 5000k light), and then maybe converting it
> to TIFF and use SCARSE (www.scarse.org) or whatever.
> Would that be already sufficient to get good results?
> Or at least beeter than sRGB? Not sure about it...
>
> It seems that it is still not too common for manufacturers
> of cameras to simply provide ICC profiles?

        Although I'm still a bit ignorant of all the intricies of color
management, as I understand it the problem is that it's impossible to get
an accurate ICC profile for a camera unless the lighting is held constant.
ICC profiles translate into (and out of) an *absolute* colorspace (like
Lab or XYZ)... that isn't possible unless you know the white point of the
lighting of the shot.

        I wish that they would at least provide the profiles for their
built-in settings... "Sunny," "Shady," "Tungsten," etc.

        Oh, and until Gimp does >8 bits, it's pretty useless for accurate
photographic work.  With only 8-bits you must read in a photo in a
gamma-corrected space (like sRGB or AdobeRGB).  If you use a gamut wide
enough to capture everything (like ProRGB or its ilk), you'll have way too
much posterization to be useful for photos.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *