My recording experience is that on double strings the rest stroke
strikes the strings in sucession, so that there is a very slight
stagger (very slight, but audible and visible in the string
interference pattern), whereas an elliptical stroke with the thumb
resting on both strings and pushing inwards towards the soundboard
can strike both strings simultaneously. However, the player may
desire the slightly thicker articulation.
Not to mention that there is a lot of music in which the next string
must vibrate, which is not possible with a true resting stroke but is
possible with a grazing stroke.

dt