Can you define what you mean by sounding "neither renaissance or baroque"? This seems to me to open up a host of additional questions like how do we know what either actually sounded like? I don't want to seem argumentative in any way but what you are saying here is that there are three sounds at work: Renaissance, Baroque and Neither one. I am totally confused. When one considers that we can only speculate on the real nature of the instruments, strings and have questions about technique, how can we be sure what we do and what we here is authentic? The only guideline I can remember is from Dowland in Varietie of Lute Lessons where in it was said to play sweetly? You certainly fill that niche, playing sweetly. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tayler" <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:26 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Thumb rest stroke

It is very similar to a rest stroke, and yet very different.
When using the two fingered graze, the fingers can either rest or
brush against each other.
Also, you can create the motion of the stroke without the ending,
which can produce the same or similar sound--after the finger has
left the string the sound is not affected.
To my ear, most rest strokes sound neither renaissance nor baroque,
and so I think the main thing to avoid is modern articulation. Of
course that is subjective.
dt