We don't know that Dowland played thumb over, he could very likely
have played thumb stretched which produces a completely different sound.
Try it, it takes 10 minutes to learn. Stretch your thumb as far as it
will go, so it is taught, like a bow.

And if thumb under, or "inside" or "tips up" is right for you, then
follow your own true form
dt