Yeah, that's a lot. My brother had years of excellent service with his Subaru
Forester and then it too died of some rather expensive repairs that kept on
coming.

(The Prius CVT is a completely different transmission design that can only be
utilized with their Synergy parallel hybrid power train. It is more correctly a
constant torque transmission rather than a continuous variable transmission.
It's essentially a very very simple system that has all continuous mesh gears
and no gear changes; it should last almost literally forever as long as the
lubricant is refreshed occasionally.)