PMNR = Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

I'm not sure if you fully understand what a supra pubic catheter is?  It's
a foley catheter, inserted in the hole they make in your abdomen that sits
in your bladder.  There is literally an open hole in your abdomen and that
is where the catheter comes out of, instead of your groin area.  So, I used
the foley catheter inserted in the supra pubic hole to drain my bladder.
It is always there, and has the balloon that blows up and everything.  At
night, the overnight drainage bag hooked directly to the suprapubic
catheter.  When I "capped it off", I just used a flip valve on the
indwelling catheter to open/close it to drain my urine out.  Sorry for the
confusion in my wording.  You cannot remove the supra pubic catheter for
much longer than it takes to change it out, as the hole will start closing
up quickly. I am just outside of Fort Worth, so we have 2 different
qualified docs - 1 in Dallas and 1 in Fort Worth.  The Fort Worth doc was
hands down the better of the 2.

When I had my suprapubic it was terrible for me (and put in by the first
doc in Dallas, who wasn't my favorite).  The open hole just never seemed to
heal properly (in the 6 months I had it), would constantly drain crap and
always smelled (no matter how much I cleaned it).  I also would always get
low level dysreflexia with it and get uncomfortable feelings whenever I
transferred or moved it.  I also got crazy/ridiculous infections when I had
it.  My doc that did the Mitrofinoff (Fort Worth doc) disliked the supra
pubics and thought they created more infections (but I didn't discuss in
detail).  He agreed with my PMNR doc on doing the mitrofinoff and here we
are.

It's always a battle between what you think/feel is the best for you and
what doctors suggest - because they do not know everything.  I am huge into
"if it isn't broke, don't fix it" and am very resistant to change.  My
intermittent cathing wasn't broke, but I'm an aging quad and knew it just
wasn't ideal anymore.