Hi Dave!

I've heard of others using kitty litter... but the kitty litter I've been
around (we used to have a cat) would turn different shade (darker) once wetted.
What keeps that from happening in model use?

As for using organic materials:

In previous layouts I used real dirt/etc.  I would sift dried/pulverized dirt
with a contraption I made using some of the wife's discarded hoisery.  I ended
up with a very fine textured and VERY real looking dirt. (Secured with diluted
Matt Medium.)  I got the idea from Dave Frary's Kalmback scenery book. (Yeah,
that was a while ago.)  Anyway... my biggest concern has been whether ferrous
content was in the material, but a quick pass-over with a magnet will tell the
tale on that one.

I've already been keeping an eye out for suitable materials around the RR yards
and industries where I switch. I intend to harvest raw product and use the
technique again.  Best time to harvest is after a long dry spell and the ground
is parchment dry. One of the best places is where trucks enter/leave a
location: They pound the dirt into a talcolm-like consistancy that requires
minimum "work" to make great ground cover!

An unexpected upside to such an approach is that you get subtle color
variations from harvesting dirt from various locations regionally.

Of course, all of the above is from my "FWIW Department".

Andre Ming