On Sun 2023-10-01 21:20:38 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> [... 23 lines elided]

>     Is there a way to efficiently improve the address coverage in
>     Australia?
>     What are the main roadblocks?

> I don't have the numbers, but StreetComplete would already be helping
> already to improve the coverage,

I've been using StreetComplete. I feel not many people in AU are using
it - I could get into Australia weekly top-10 by spending ~15min per
day.

Also StreetComplete does not let me add numbers when the buildings are
not already recorded. When there are millions of addresses to be mapped
I fear it could take forever.

> In terms of imports the roadblocks are data availability (only ACT,
> NSW, TAS, VIC are currently available. QLD, NT, SA, WA are not) and
> then people contributing to an important effort. For the most part the
> community would like to see more address imports so that's unlikely a
> roadblock.

> [... 34 lines elided]

> The preparation and planning is well progressed in my view. There is
> always going to be a long tail of corner cases and I was attempting to
> handle more of these in the code and that never got finished. We
> probably would be better to make a call to accept those corner cases
> and go ahead with the import.

Thanks for the context. Which of the 7 Stages mentioned in the README
correspond to the corner cases?

> Are you interested in working on it?

Absolutely! Thankfully git is decentralised so I don't really need a
gitlab account. I could send patches in this mailing list (or a more
dev-focused mailing list like say dev-au if one could be created easily)
if that works for you?

Best,
Yuchen

--
Timezone: UTC+11
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0