Thursday, November 18, 1999, 7:56:24 AM, Ali wrote:
> Steve, please don't call peoples suggestions idiotic especially when
> it's not necessary.

    It was.  An understanding of basic UI at the level of around an AOL user
would be all that is required to deduce why the cursor is in the header field.

> The fact that you felt that way just shows up yourself more than the person
> you indirectly insulted.

    I get it.  Attack the person, not the idea.  Gee, to think, I had it wrong
this whole time in attacking the idea, not the person.  Thanks for the
clarification.

> You are so automated and mechanical in your approach to usability
> issues that it's unbelievable. I have no wish to have any exchanges
> with you on the issue.

    I am so automated and mechanical because I'm right.  When you get to a
certain point you come to understand that most, if not all roads, lead to the
same place.

> Just for the benefit of the minds that exhibit more flexibility and
> amicability to suggestion:

    IE, those who haven't thought it out.

> a) Defending a feature as being correct simply because it's traditional is
> rather weak at best. Nothing will ever change with such an attitude.

    Which is why I didn't limit my defense only to that point.  You would do
well to understand that.

> b) If one invokes/creates a new mail message using the address book.
> One would fill in all the addresses required, whether it be To: BCC:
> or CC: via the address book. Why have the cursor still in the 'To:'
> Field when you've already dealt with the addressing via the address
> book or via the drop down menu beside the create new message toolbar
> button?  Consistency? ..... Nah, I think that's a taking it a bit too
> far. That's consistency to ones detriment. We are thinking, people
> here.

    Then think, Ali, don't just jump on the bandwagon for a ride and disengage
your brain.  Tell me, are *all* of the addresses you've ever used in the
addressbook?  You've never added one by hand after using the addressbook?
You've never added one by hand from the address book after using it?

    Why put it there?  Because the program has no way to determine if you're
completely finished with entering addresses or if you're just done adding
addresses from the addressbook/macros.  The logical place for the cursor after
that point is in the headers section.

    Furthermore, just because you've entered addresses doesn't mean that the
other functions near those fields are completed.  Subject, reply-to and other
headers can be manipulated with TB! and the accepted, logical and right time
to do that is right after addressing is done.

    It is not consistency to one's detriment, it is logical consistency where
an otherwise annoying assumption by the machine would be made.