Hi all,

  Steve Lamb wrote:

  I promised that I wouldn't reply but I couldn't resist. :))))

  <snip>
> Then think, Ali, don't just jump on the bandwagon for a ride and
> disengage your brain. Tell me, are *all* of the addresses you've
> ever used in the addressbook? You've never added one by hand after
> using the addressbook? You've never added one by hand from the
> address book after using it?

Well, assuming that I haven't finished addressing when creating a
message with the address book seems quite the more unlikely assumption
to make. You *do* realize that the application makes an assumption
for your reason which is that the user just might not be finished entering
addresses even though the message was created from the address book.
Which should be better supported? The more likely scenario or the less
likely.

This is the fundamental issue that has me wondering why all the
lettered keys have been wasted for this quick search feature. How
often does anyone use the quick search feature and why should all the
lettered keys be sacrificed for it. Now we have to be using CTRL+] to
go to the next message instead of N and CTRL+F5 or CTRL+Enter to reply
to a message instead of R etc.

Why place the cursor at the To: field when the likelihood of wishing to
add more addresses is small as in the case sited above where the
message is created using the address book?

These arguments are produced by thinking Steve. Arguments provoke
thought and hopefully produce change for the better. Bullying people
by saying their suggestions are idiotic is really ...... Hmmmm ....
unbecoming for want of a better word. :-|

> Why put it there? Because the program has no way to determine if
> you're completely finished with entering addresses or if you're just
> done adding addresses from the addressbook/macros. The logical place
> for the cursor after that point is in the headers section.

You may as well say to me that it's inappropriate for the cursor to
end up where it is when you reply to message (note that the
cursor is not placed initially in the To: field when you create a
reply) because I just may wish to add another recipient or that I just
might wish to change the subject. Don't you change subjects when
replying at times? Changing the subject to [OT] is a popular practice
on TBUDL. :)

I don't know why you insist on placing this logic and consistency in
human interaction. It's the variability in user interaction,
expectations and intuition which make user interfaces differ and vary
so much and which has everyone never truly satisfied with an interface
unless they are able to *completely* customize it.

> Furthermore, just because you've entered addresses doesn't mean that
> the other functions near those fields are completed. Subject,
> reply-to and other headers can be manipulated with TB! and the
> accepted, logical and right time to do that is right after
> addressing is done.

Well place the cursor in the next empty field. :) Why in the to field
where 5 addresses may already be entered? Oh, you just might have
others to enter. That's really a rough one to chew.

Guess what Agent does. It places the cursor in the next empty field.
Grand. I find the usability features of Agent to be so well thought
out, it's truly remarkable. :)

> It is not consistency to one's detriment, it is logical consistency
> where an otherwise annoying assumption by the machine would be made.

Whatever......

--
Regards,
 -=Ali=-

   >>> PC! Politically Correct (or) Pure Crap! <<<
  Using The Bat! v1.37 Beta/3 [-] Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)