Thursday, November 18, 1999, 9:45:45 AM, Ali wrote:
> Simple : Not everyone has this allegedly logical stepwise approach. I
> tend to prefer this stepwise approach and this is why I have no need
> for no subject error messages or reminders to enter an address, but
> this is besides the point.

    No, it is the point.  People should learn to use the program, not the
program to babysit the user.

> Do you have statistics to prove *your* point. It was you who introduced
> proving. :)

    Uhm, you're the one on the side that wants to change things.  The burden
of proof is at your feet, not mine.

> You don't get the point do you? I didn't really expect it. It was you
> who wrote it anyway. <sigh>

    Oh, I get the point.  You don't get mine.  I don't pussyfoot around.  In
all our conversations I have stated that repeatedly and I don't apologize for
it.  I really dislike all the political, buttkissing BS when it comes to
getting things done.  If something is idiotic I call it that.  That is not the
same as calling the person an idiot.  Everyone makes idiotic moves all the
time.  I've been known to beat myself up over my idiotic mistakes for years
after the fact in certain situations.

    But to spend so much time and effort to say the same thing in a "polite"
and "non-threatening" manner is just wasted time and effort.  Get a thicker
skin or get out of the way.

> Good. I hope you don't reach this issue. :))

    I hope I do for if I ever got to the level where such small UI issues were
the only matters of contention it would mean the world would have the most
powerful and robust MUA around which, instead of worrying about small UI
issues first it would have IMAP done and out the door, automatic LDAP updates,
be lean, mean and well documented.  But, hey, you want to debate where %cursor
goes instead of insist on getting real work done, fine by me.

>>     No interface is completely customizable unless it is programmed by the
>> individual.  Even then it isn't completely customizable.

> You didn't get my point.

    I did.  Did you get mine.  Let me spell it out for you since you clearly
did not.

    Since a completely customizable UI is not obtainable the best one can do
is create an UI that has the least number of internal inconsistencies and is
as logical as possible.  Those who like the UI will then be able to
effectively and efficiently learn the logic and begin to make assumptions
about areas they are unfamiliar with.  This will let them work faster, ask
less questions, use the program in a more powerful manner and get their work
done.

    Those who don't like the UI (and there will ALWAYS be those who don't like
it) can go elsewhere.