Hi Steve,

on Friday, November 19, 1999, 1:58:33 AM GMT+0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> Simple : Not everyone has this allegedly logical stepwise approach. I
>> tend to prefer this stepwise approach and this is why I have no need
>> for no subject error messages or reminders to enter an address, but
>> this is besides the point.

SL>     No, it is the point.  People should learn to use the program, not the
SL> program to babysit the user.

This is the point where I disagree! One of a programme's first
objectives is to be user-friendly.

>> You don't get the point do you? I didn't really expect it. It was you
>> who wrote it anyway. <sigh>

SL>     Oh, I get the point.  You don't get mine.  I don't pussyfoot around.  In
SL> all our conversations I have stated that repeatedly and I don't apologize for
SL> it.  I really dislike all the political, buttkissing BS when it comes to
SL> getting things done.

We noticed that <g>. The question is, what are the things that we want
to get done? Vocabulary like "idiotic" don't help to figure this out.

SL>     But to spend so much time and effort to say the same thing in a "polite"
SL> and "non-threatening" manner is just wasted time and effort.

I doubt that. Because when you use words like "idiotic" it takes
seventy-five posting in three threads to get the feeling it creates
out of the way.

SL> Get a thicker skin or get out of the way.

Sorry for being human. Did you know that this list is also for people
who might not have the self-confidence that you are so blessed with? -
I was the one whose idea you called idiotic, and my skin is thick
enough. Someone else, well, might have just left the list and TB too.
Sometimes it is necessary to be "political" and to keep an amicable
atmostphere in a society in order to protect the ones that are not so
strong (or not so self-confident, you get the point).

SL>     Since a completely customizable UI is not obtainable the best one can do
SL> is create an UI that has the least number of internal inconsistencies and is
SL> as logical as possible.  Those who like the UI will then be able to
SL> effectively and efficiently learn the logic and begin to make assumptions
SL> about areas they are unfamiliar with.  This will let them work faster, ask
SL> less questions, use the program in a more powerful manner and get their work
SL> done.

I agree with that. I have learned that when I tell the cursor to go to
point A in the body, it will ignore my command and go to the header,
because it assumes I'm an idiot and I may want to add a second
recipient.

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.37 Beta/3
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.