Hi all,

  Marck D. Pearlstone wrote:

<snip>
>>> People  like  Steve  Lamb  make it so hard for beginners to stay in
>>> this list.

> This  is the main point of the objections to the style of Steve Lamb's
> postings.

> As a matter of fact, although I misunderstood his writing style myself
> when  he  first  appeared  on  the  list, I have since found myself in
> complete agreement with what he has to say at most (if not all) times.

> That  doesn't  detract  from  the point that the bandwidth on the list
> goes  through the roof whenever anyone wants to pick a fight with him.
> Sometimes it gets to be a very interesting read, but that doesn't stop
> it  being  off-putting  for  the newbie who just wants to know how the
> cookie  files  work or how to customize a template. Just as they pluck
> up courage to ask, they see another newbie getting *apparently* flamed
> for having the temerity to make a suggestion.

> Note the stress on the word *apparently*. After extensive study :-9, I
> can  see  that  Steve  is  only  standing  for what is technologically
> correct.

You needed extensive study to get pass Steve's front. What of the
newcomers?!! I wouldn't have made an issue out of it, if the term
'idiotic' was directed at me, off list, by Steve, since I've grown used
to his abrasive style as well.

> It doesn't change the impression received.

Exactly and many unsubscribe before they figure out Steve. :)

> Steve - any chance of a lowering of tone when dealing with newbies?

I second that motion.

> Anyone  wanting  to  take  exception to Steve - any chance of *always*
> taking it off-list?

I can't promise that. If he's unfriendly/impolite to another
subscriber, I'll not hesitate to indicate this for the very reasons
you mentioned above, i.e., it gives a bad impression.

--
Regards,
 -=Ali=-

   >>> Press any key to continue or any other key to quit... <<<
  Using The Bat! v1.38 Beta/1 [-] Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)