Re: Opinions on The Gate

Actually Orko I have all of Vgstorm's other games.

Paladin of the skies is a great first draught. Yes, the battle system has it's lacks and  waaay too easy, also the story can be a  simplistic in places, but the locations, music and weird items give me enough for a good game, actually I've been considering replaying paladin.

Psychostrike caused a huge controversy when it was first released with people calling it violent and evil and all sorts of other things, or complaining that it's not a propper game. The thing is Psychostrike never pretends to be anything other than what it is, a violent stress reliever. If you go in expecting basically an excuse to beat people up, grab weapons and go sort of nuts, you won't be disappointed.

manamon is by far their best game. yes, it borrows a lot from Pokemon, however that isn't really a reason not to appreciate it. The writing has improved telling a story that has it's dark sides and unique characters (actually far darker than Pokemon's story), as have battle mechanics. My only problem with manamon is the enforced grinding to level your creatures, and the fact that the battle system is a bit opaque to those not familiar with pokemon at the beginning, and that you require a lot of grinding in places to level your creatures up.

Then again, what do you expect from a creature rpg.

it's partly because I have appreciated their work that I'm considering buying the gate, that and the fact that I was in an action/side scroller mood  played most everything in Crazy party and having just finished superliam, while not really wanting to start anything as overloading as bk3 (where I seem to be stuck on the flying level anyway).

If you want a single recommendation, I'd suggest Manamon, though I would recommend checking out jayde's guide just to get a good overview of the system.

Of course, I also need to get stuck in to A hero's call, but as when I tried I found the movement system a bit confusing I probably need to wait until I have the time and energy for that one.