Just because I have probably missed it in the flood of work/emails (yay!) have we been dry-running the user experience of a Maven-built project depending on Beam? If declaring a dependency on Beam doesn't work in some basic way, it seems like we would want to know that right away. Our release verification will definitely catch this, but perhaps we want to check it earlier.
Kenn On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 9:11 AM Scott Wegner <sweg...@google.com> wrote: > Romain, could you please open a JIRA describing the requirements for the > generated pom's? The gradle-generated pom's don't match the maven version > byte-for-byte, but I don't think that's a requirement. > > I and others are still hacking on the Gradle build, so it's possible we > could get the pom's ready within 2 weeks. It would be good to understand > the specific requirements for the generated pom's such that we don't break > consumers. > > On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:14 AM Etienne Chauchot <echauc...@apache.org> > wrote: > >> +1 to what Ahmet said, I also think that it is important to take our >> time given that we're in the gradle migration process. >> +1 to what JB said also: try gradle and fall back to maven in case of >> troubles. >> >> Etienne >> >> Le mercredi 11 avril 2018 à 13:35 -0700, Ahmet Altay a écrit : >> >> +1 to delaying 2 weeks. >> >> I think it will be prudent to wait in this case. There is too much in >> flux with Gradle migration currently and based on Scott's latest update I >> think we will be in a more stable state in 2 weeks. Last Beam release date >> was 3/20 and our plan was to make a release every 6 weeks. Even if we start >> cutting a release in 2 weeks (~4/26), we will have more than a week to >> finish that release. Even if that is not enough time to finish a release it >> will put is in the proximity of the 5/5 target date. I prefer that option, >> to another potential release with Maven. >> >> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau < >> rmannibu...@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Any hope the release is on central before the 30th? >> >> >> I do not think this was the plan to begin with. The time between the >> previous release and 4/30 is less than 6 weeks. >> >> >> >> Le 11 avr. 2018 22:02, "Robert Bradshaw" <rober...@google.com> a écrit : >> >> +1 to keeping up the regular release cycle, but I don't think it makes >> sense to cut until we're ready to actively work on the release. A cut date >> two weeks from now seems fine (unless someone else is volunteering to do it >> this time around). >> >> That being said, a dry run using gradle now may make a lot of sense, >> giving us a couple of weeks to iron out the kinks, if any. >> >> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM Chamikara Jayalath <chamik...@google.com> >> wrote: >> >> Hi JB, >> >> Please note that I opened a blocker  (working on it) and looks like we >> have several other JIRAs marked for 2.5.0. So +1 for waiting for two weeks >> (or till JIRAs are resolved or moved off the list). >> >> Thanks, >> Cham >> >>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3991 >>  >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20BEAM%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.5.0%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC >> >> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <j...@nanthrax.net> >> wrote: >> >> Hi guys, >> >> Due to the last work, I think it makes sense to try a release using >> Gradle. If it doesn't work smoothly, we will rollback to Maven, and >> maybe in that case, we should ask ourselves if Gradle is really a good >> alternative for now. >> >> I'm in vacation tomorrow morning for 2 weeks. I can cut the release >> tomorrow end of the morning (my time). But in the case we need some >> additional PR merges or we have some work in progress, I'm proposing to >> postpone 2.5.0 release for the end of this month (in two weeks). If >> someone is volunteer to tackle this release, please, let us know. >> >> Regards >> JB >> >> On 06/04/2018 10:48, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote: >> > Hi guys, >> > >> > Apache Beam 2.4.0 has been released on March 20th. >> > >> > According to our cycle of release (roughly 6 weeks), we should think >> about 2.5.0. >> > >> > I'm volunteer to tackle this release. >> > >> > I'm proposing the following items: >> > >> > 1. We start the Jira triage now, up to Tuesday >> > 2. I would like to cut the release on Tuesday night (Europe time) >> > 2bis. I think it's wiser to still use Maven for this release. Do you >> think we >> > will be ready to try a release with Gradle ? >> > >> > After this release, I would like a discussion about: >> > 1. Gradle release (if we release 2.5.0 with Maven) >> > 2. Isolate release cycle per Beam part. I think it would be interesting >> to have >> > different release cycle: SDKs, DSLs, Runners, IOs. That's another >> discussion, I >> > will start a thread about that. >> > >> > Thoughts ? >> > >> > Regards >> > JB >> > >> >> >> >> >> >> -- > > > Got feedback? http://go/swegner-feedback >