On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 14:21:46 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
As part of that work, the dub package an build management system is now available in Debian, and I will ensure it works well. Additionally, it was possible to make dub available late in the Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) development cycle, so dub will also be part of the upcoming LTS release of Ubuntu (kudos here go to Matthias Klose for pointing me at the "new" --push-state linker directive to work around dub not linking properly against libcurl when the latter is compiled with --as-needed).

That's great news.  Thank you very much!

Related note: I see the lcd version in xenial is 0.17.0~beta2 -- I don't suppose there's any chance of upgrading that to the stable 0.17.1 release ... ? (Not asking you to do it personally, just wondering if that's something that could be achieved.)

On the roadmap are adding debhelper sequences to simplify packaging dub-based D code in Debian based distros, auto-test support in Debian's CI, and of course the usual bugfixing.

That sounds very cool. I'm very grateful that you are doing this work; it's going to save me my usual from-source install, and looks like it opens the gates for a bunch more D code getting into the Debian + Ubuntu universe.

Curious question: what's the Debian policy these days on what D compiler should be used to build D packages? And has dub's config been tweaked accordingly in terms of which compiler it prefers to use ... ?

Thanks & best wishes,

    -- Joe