On Friday 28 Aug 2009, Terry Coles wrote:
> Since yesterday evening, I've had no sound when browsing the web, (Firefox
> or Konquerer) or when playing games.  Playback of music and videos seems to
> work OK though when I use Amarok or Dragon Player.
>
> I'm assuming this was a broken update, but what?  Anyone got any ideas
> where to start looking?

I spent a bit of time over the weekend trying to isolate the problem, but with
no success.  One thing I did notice though is that the game Einstein
(http://games.flowix.com/en/index.html, it's also available in the Ubuntu
repositories), maxes out one of my CPUs from the moment that it is launched,
even when it is only on the Start screen.  I first noticed this because it was
taking a long time for the Window to close when I finished playing and so had
a look.

I then tried the same process on my wife's machine, and found that it does not
exhibit the same problem.  Mine is a home-brewed desktop with a dual core 64
bit Athlon running a fully patched Kubuntu 9.04 and the KDE 4.3 patches
(available at http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu).  My
wife's machine is a fully patched Mesh desktop with a dual core 64 bit Athlon
running Kubuntu 9.04 and without the KDE 4.3 patches.

It looks likely therefore (but not certain), that the KDE 4.3 upgrade is the
problem.  When I installed it, I was aware that there were risks in doing so,
and was quite prepared to trash everything and start again with a clean
install of Jaunty.  However, it worked fine for several weeks before this
occurred and so I would like to consider all the strategies available before I
do anything that drastic.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way forward?  Can I roll back
to standard Jaunty easily?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-09-01 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/