Well, here's the thing:  As I recall (Bernie et al correct me if I'm wrong),
there was a lot of discussion about what to do about "countries" and the
very beginning of what became the DXCC 2000 rewrite.  And there was a school
of thought that strongly suggested starting everyone over on 1 Jan 2000 with
a clean slate, and along with that, a refreshed list of "countries" (we
hadn't switched to calling them "entities" yet... I think)

And please, no brickbats, I was NOT a member of that small but vocal group
that thought this!

But, just for fits and giggles... imagine doing just that.  Convince some
other group to sponsor a DXCC-like award, for contacts starting 1 Jan 2000
(even though the 21st century actually started 1 Jan 2001, but let's not go
into THAT one again either), and for this hypothetical award -- call it "DX
21" for the sake of argument -- issue a new list of entities, based on the
current DXCC active list (forget the deleteds), but applying current
criteria to each and every one of them, plus evaluating other possibile ones
that have been eliminated under recent rules changes.

Many won't survive.  BS7H certainly wouldn't.  What about Scotland, Wales,
and the rest of the non-England parts of the UK?  Desecheo?  Navassa?
Sable?  Ducie?

What about the "special" cases:  The Spratley's?  Do you keep the UN Hq?  If
so, what about the Council of Europe HQ?  The Vatican?  SMOM?  ITU Hq?  How
about the UN Vienna?

I could go on, but you get my drift.  Either way for many of these, stay or
go... at least apply the new "DX 21" rules consistently.  How will this
affect DX chasing?  To say nothing of little discussions like this thread...

I can understand all too well why no one wanted to undertake the controversy
that a change like this would have entailed.  But it's interesting to think
about!

73