There was a major initiative at least 15 years ago in the automotive industry to go to 28 volt systems in order to reduce the cost and weight of the heavier wires that were needed to cope with the expanding current drain as more things in the car went electronic. Not sure what happened to that since I've been retired, but I assume ways were found to make the new electronics more energy efficient in the first place. As I remember, one of the issues holding back 28 volt systems was the higher breakdown voltages that would be needed for the various semiconductors involved ... not everything gets more efficient or cost effective as voltages go up.

73,
Dave  AB7E