Now, I may be miss-interpreting what's happening here, but I feel is that
this whole thing is being taken "slightly" wrong by several people.

VW purposely faked the test to meet a gov't spec.

However, Elecraft sold a radio that DID meet their published specifications
for transmit IMD which are typical of other competitive radios on the
market.

THEN, they figured out a way to make an improvement, which makes them BETTER
than the typical radio for this parameter.
AND, they're willing to make the mod for free IF you handle shipping.

Believe me, the "big-three" would simply come out with a Mark II, or "A"
model and leave it at that.

And, every time I hear that they did in fact do just that, I'm that much
gladder (if that's a word) I have Elecraft's in the shack.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about. At which point I would offer a
retraction.
I have been known to stick my foot in my mouth on more than one occasion.

73, Charlie k3ICH