---- Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, dan...@austin.rr.com wrote:
> >

> > I just tried a real time Mesa Ethernet config with maxvel = 120000 IPM (2000
> > IPS = 20 MHz step rate at present 10000 steps/In scaling) and maxaccel 20000
> > IPS/S (52 Gs) with a 1 KHz servo thread, and it works fine (Peak following
> > errors in the 1-2 mill region)
>
> The problem to be solved is getting an estimate of the time required
> to complete a job.   Does the above do this accurately?

Yeah I want to know this.  I can run a job for real vs "fast sim" and compare.
One prob is the cycle time only goes down to seconds AFAIK.  If it's 100x then
that's over a minute and a half it could be wrong, but that's still good enough
as long as it's not estimating a very short job.

I am skeptical that the mechanisms will time themselves the same way, but I
don't know enough to say.

> The problem is to get the shape of the velocity curves to be the same
> in the sim as the real job.   In a real 3D wood carving job I thing
> the mill never gets to near full speed and is always making think
> movements and accelerating.   Your sim MIGHT accelerate to quickly and
> make some parts of the work run at a constant velocity (your maximum)
>
> Intuitively (I've not proved it to myself) you need to scale the max
> speed and acceleration by the same constant.   (But what about third
> derivative?)

I was told the MAX_JERK parameter- (third deriv) was not actually used, not in
the main branch.

> Time estimation seem to be a missing feature.  It should not require a
> hack   I _think_ that a machine tool that has all orthogonal and
> linear axis where movement time depends only on delta-X and not on X
> (or Y or Z) then you should not require a full simulation to compute
> the job time as you can simply sumo the deltas.    Note that there ARE
> many non-linear machines but mostly these are robots.

Time estimation is SUPER important to me.
1. I can tune the machine to trade off one param for another, a lower max speed
but higher accel.  I need to know if that helps or hurts runtime, and it can
actually change from job to job.  A large design without sharp features will go
faster with high max vel and lower accel.
2. Similarly, I can do changes in design with more raster lines vs less, change
size and/or depth, and need to know what the cost of that change is.  You'd be
surprised, doubling the design's size (quadruple the area) with a ball twice
the diameter may actually take LESS time because it's not demanding huge accels
in and out of small features.
3. I need to plan my day.  A 2 hr carving is a different product than a 6 hr
carving.  I need to know when it'll be done, do I run this before going out for
dinner or will it not be done before I need to leave?  And how much to charge
before actually doing it.  Customers like to be told a price before the work is
done.

Danny