On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, dan...@austin.rr.com wrote:
>

> I just tried a real time Mesa Ethernet config with maxvel = 120000 IPM (2000
> IPS = 20 MHz step rate at present 10000 steps/In scaling) and maxaccel 20000
> IPS/S (52 Gs) with a 1 KHz servo thread, and it works fine (Peak following
> errors in the 1-2 mill region)

The problem to be solved is getting an estimate of the time required
to complete a job.   Does the above do this accurately?

The problem is to get the shape of the velocity curves to be the same
in the sim as the real job.   In a real 3D wood carving job I thing
the mill never gets to near full speed and is always making think
movements and accelerating.   Your sim MIGHT accelerate to quickly and
make some parts of the work run at a constant velocity (your maximum)

Intuitively (I've not proved it to myself) you need to scale the max
speed and acceleration by the same constant.   (But what about third
derivative?)

Time estimation seem to be a missing feature.  It should not require a
hack   I _think_ that a machine tool that has all orthogonal and
linear axis where movement time depends only on delta-X and not on X
(or Y or Z) then you should not require a full simulation to compute
the job time as you can simply sumo the deltas.    Note that there ARE
many non-linear machines but mostly these are robots.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California